Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Killing: Yes or No?

Oregon-based CFZ rep Regan Lee has an interesting new post over at Binnall of America on the "kill or no-kill" policy when it comes to Bigfoot.

As someone who believes Bigfoot to be a wholly paranormal beast, I'm not sure that trying to kill it in a conventional manner is the easiest thing in the world to do. But, that's just my own personal opinion.

As Regan says:

"Within the Bigfoot phenomena, there are several controversial topics. I'd say the three most controversial include the debates over 'giant ape' vs. something else, paranormal/inter-dimensional vs. strictly flesh and blood, and the kill/no kill view. I'm not that interested in the first of the three; it is what it is in that regard. And if Sasquatch is a paranormal/inter-dimensional entity, (which I believe it is) the other stuff is moot. But one thing I'm absolutely positive about is the kill/no kill debate. Regardless of what Bigfoot is, I support, without hesitation, a 'no kill' stance."

And here's the rest of Regan's post.

Check it out, as it contains some thought-provoking commentary.

And, of course, hunting (whether Bigfoot or, indeed, any animal) is a topic that always sharply divides people.

As for me, I have no problem with people hunting for food. After all, it's really not that different to going to a shop and buying a frozen chicken or a piece of beef. In the latter scenario, you buy it already killed; and that's the only difference.

As for hunting and killing animals for pleasure, well, I don't get it.

Of course, it's not my place to impose my beliefs and ideas on other people (I leave that dubious honor to our elected leaders); but I just don't understand why someone might take pleasure in - and get a rush from - slaughtering an animal just to stick its head on a wall.

1 comment:

  1. I'm basically with Loren Coleman:

    "Capture it, study it, give it some rights, and then let it go."

    To be honest, though, I would not be (overly)upset at the people who would hypothetically "shoot" a Bigfoot. Although I would imagine some who would want to string the guys up by their "precious jewels."

    My thought would be---"It would have been better had it been captured alive---but AT LEAST human knowledge will be advanced and the creature's existence would be proven."

    Ultimately, whatever Ole Hairy is, it is not human. I have no problem with a law saying that one cannot shoot or harm one; it's just we haven't even gotten there yet. We don't know what the heck this is. Supernatural or not, it is not on the same level as us. Actually, maybe, maybe not. It may actually on a higher "level" than us. But we don't know that yet. What I mean to say is---let's not shoot it---but if it IS shot, let's not be too angry at the people that did it, Ok???

    ReplyDelete